The mission of St. Ursula Academy is to educate young women to develop their spiritual, intellectual, physical, and emotional well-being in light of the values found in the Gospel and reflected in the life of St. Angela Merici.
St. Ursula Academy, grades 6-12, is Toledo's oldest, all-female, Catholic fully-accredited, college preparatory school, and has been educating young women of today for tomorrow since 1854.
St. Ursula Academy girls are smart, strong, and spirited. At St. Ursula Academy it's not just equal opportunity - it's EVERY opportunity! Our single-sex Catholic junior academy and high school place girls first and foremost. We understand how girls learn and succeed. Plan a visit to St. Ursula Academy and find out why our girls thrive.
Learn about our:
Outstanding college-prep academics with 20 AP and 18 Honors Courses.
Exceptional college counseling with 100% college acceptance.
College course credit through Advanced Placement, Bowling Green State University, University of Toledo, Lourdes College, and Owens Community College. On-line courses at University of Toledo.
National and State Championship-winning athletic teams.
Nationally recognized fine arts programs in new state-of-the-art facilities.
Nationally recognized Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Team.
Leadership opportunities in over 40 clubs, including Model United Nations and Mock Trial Teams.
Annual Day of Caring when students and teachers volunteer over 2,000 hours of service in a single day.
At St. Ursula Academy, our girls are challenged in mathematics, science, English and language arts, theology, social studies, world languages, computers, life skills, business, fine arts, health, and much, much more. We'll ignite a passion for lifelong learning.
St. Ursula Academy is a Catholic school grades 6-12 which bases its philosophy of Catholic education on the premise that it exists to prepare today's young women for the present, the future, and eternity. The school provides a process by which a student may develop her potential to lead a full and productive life both for her own personal enrichment and for the enrichment of others.
St. Ursula Academy is a community of teachers and learners involved in an ongoing experience aimed at developing within the student a firm commitment to Christian values. The school accepts as a primary value the recognition of love for the spiritual dimension in the existence of each of us.
St. Ursula Academy offers a broad academic program, a preparatory curriculum for the college-bound student. This academic program recognizes the student's right to a solid and rich background of experience to prepare her for tomorrow. Hence, the school recognizes the need for continual evaluation of curriculum to keep pace with the rapid social and technological changes in the world.
Consistent with Christian ideals, the student is encouraged to participate in school and community activities through the theology program, athletics, the guidance program, and through curricular and extra-curricular activities. These contribute to inner growth and self-understanding and provide opportunities for leadership.
St. Ursula Academy recognizes the importance of educating students to live in a pluralistic society - a society composed of many different religious, racial, cultural, and ethnic groups - and the Academy realizes the importance of educating its students to live responsibly in a democratic society. The school also believes that it is important to acknowledge the value of contributions made by these various groups to our American society.
In developing student values and in meeting academic needs, the school community seeks to instill within the student an abiding desire and will to achieve the highest quality performance. Thus the school prepares young women for today, the future, and eternity.
History of St. Ursula Academy
St. Ursula Academy's history reaches back to December 1854 when four Ursuline nuns arrived in Toledo, Ohio from neighboring Cleveland. Four days after their arrival, classes began in the convent on Cherry Street when the nuns opened their doors to 200 children of all ages and grade levels. In 1859 the nuns moved into a new convent and academy located on Cherry and Erie Streets.
Records show that the early curriculum included courses in English, German, French, history, art, music, natural sciences, mathematics, cooking and sewing. Mainly residential, the school included two departments: elementary and collegiate. The collegiate department consisted of six classes to be completed in six years, two preparatory and two collegiate. The excellence of the educational program secured a charter from the Ohio Department of Education with the privilege of granting degrees on the highest level. The first St. Ursula Academy commencement was held on July 8, 1873 with the exercises lasting the entire day.
At the close of the nineteenth century, the St. Ursula Academy Alumnae Association came into being with the first officers elected in January of 1900. The organization initiated a series of cultural and social activities, which brought together the graduates and their former teachers. From its inception the Alumnae Association was an active member of the International Federation of Catholic Alumnae.
The turn of the century also marked the purchase of property on Collingwood Boulevard, where the school relocated in 1905 after a local architect, Mr. E.O. Fallis, created plans for a new convent and academy. St. Ursula Academy opened its doors at the Collingwood location on September 4, 1905. The first commencement exercises in the auditorium took place on June 25, 1906.
In 1919, the St. Ursula Academy Student League, the forerunner of the present Student Council, was organized to unify religious, social, and intellectual activities at the Academy.
With the growth of Mary Manse College, which opened its doors in 1922, the Ursuline Community decided once again to move the school, this time to a property on Indian Road purchased from Frank J. Linnenkugel. The architectural firm of Britsch, Macelwane, Lubeck and Poseler was chosen to design the new building. Ground breaking took place on July 16, 1958 and the building was officially opened for classes in 1959. The building was dedicated on December 10, 1959. To further meet the needs of its students, St. Ursula Academy expanded it campus in 2000, with the addition of the Mary Ann LaValley Activities Center, which added four new classrooms, athletic offices, a state-of-the-art field house, fitness center and a dance studio.
From residential to day school, from Cherry Street to Collingwood to Indian Road, St. Ursula Academy has developed and flourished during its long history in Toledo, but its focus remains the same: to educate young women of today for tomorrow.